Friday, February 13, 2009

Cabinet of Curiosities



This project got a little out of control. I started the "cabinet" in foam core, but didn't like how it looked. So I went to Michaels to get some ideas and decided to make my own cabinet out of wood. Of course, I don't have a clue about cabinet making, but I figured, how hard could it be? Hard.....very hard. There must be a trick to measuring and cutting out wood that I am unaware of because several parts had to be cut out more than once after I found that they were too short. And then there is the concept of mitering....I definitely need some practice at that.
After the cabinet was done, I needed a backing (an 8 X 8 canvas covered with an old map)......and doors....and hinges....and a latch.... The screening on the doors is nature printed with flowers per the technique in LK Ludwig's Mixed Media Nature Journal book.

And as long as I was at it, why not some dummied up microscope slides....using real bits of bugs and plants and a little Diamond Glaze. The cabinet is finished with two coats of orange shellac. And, even though it's substantially late, I did finish what I started. What's life without a few good adventures in art?


Art and images copyright 2009 Jan Harris

2 comments:

Glenny Moir said...

This is so awesome, Jan!! Is it for sale:)

cynthia said...

fabulous, Jan! All that hard work paid off.