Thursday, February 26, 2009

This File Cabinet...


Of all themes, this is most challenging one. From seeing them in medieval and modern illustrations as well as in museums and nature centers, I knew what a typical naturalist's cabinet looked like. But I did not have anything that would closely resemble one, and I was trying to figure out what to do. I did have a bunch of specimens that I collected from nature walks - but they're in many boxes and different places.

One day, a thought came to my mind: I could use my file cabinet as a "cabinet of curiosities"! After all, it did have a lot of folders containing images from nature. So, I gathered together various natural forms, microscope, large pine cone, and specimens, and placed them near the file drawer to create this unusual composition.

Art and images copyright 2009 by Andrew Borloz

1 comment:

Tracie Lyn Huskamp said...

Andrew.. I love all your works.. but this one in particular is my favorite. I completely sympathize with the struggling aspect of this particular theme. However once I finally had a vision for my artwork, I really enjoyed the process and the challenge.